COLLECTIONS AND RESEARCH »
Since its inception in 1964, the Lake of the Woods Museum has
been actively collecting artifacts that are illustrative of this
area's history. Now more than 45 years later, and with a collection
in excess of 25 000 articles, the museum continues to collect from
a very generous public, both locally, and from all over North
America and the world. Former local residents, wherever they are
living, continue to support the museum through their donations of
goods and funds.
The nucleus of the collection was a donation of over 300
artifacts from former Kenora Indian agent, Captain Frank Edwards.
Edwards served as Indian agent here from 1920 until his death in
1945. His collection of beadwork, pipes, baskets, and other First
Nations artifacts was an excellent foundation for the rest of the
First Nations and fur trade artifacts, household goods, Rat
Portage souvenirs, natural history specimens, minerals, textiles,
industrial and business items, navigational gear and models
highlight the major events and activities in the history of Kenora,
Keewatin, Jaffray Melick and the Lake of the Woods.
The museum also actively collects photographs, journals,
documents, and other archival material that are directly related to
the history of this area.