COLLECTIONS AND RESEARCH »
The Hudson’s Bay Company in Rat Portage
Vol. 14 No. 2
by the Hudson's Bay Company Archives
1836. That is the earliest reference to a trading post near the site known as Portage du Rat or the rat carrying place. It seems likely that the post was built to replace the Dalles post, which closed in 1836.
Vol. 13 No. 3
by Lori Nelson
There’s a small parcel of land situated between downtown Kenora and Tunnel Island that, in its history, mirrors a substantial part of the development of the entire area.
Farming on the Canadian Shield
Vol. 16 No. 2
Farming – it’s likely one of the last things one would consider doing on the Canadian Shield. In a place where rocks and lakes and trees dominate the landscape, setting about to coax something edible from the earth wouldn’t have been easy , and yet there were those who did and were successful at it. We present to you a few of those early settlers who took to farming on the Canadian Shield…
Western Algoma Brick Co.
Vol. 17 No. 2
On July 31, 1894, the local newspaper, The Semi-Weekly Record, made this pronouncement… “The wooden era of our town is at an end and we have entered upon the brick and stone era.”
The Prominent Business Houses of Rat Portage
Vol. 18 No. 4
In 1888, “The New West”, a publication from Winnipeg, Manitoba, published the following account entitled Prominent Business Houses of Rat Portage.