COLLECTIONS AND RESEARCH ยป

Stories

General

Rat Portage Becomes Kenora
Vol. 15 No. 1
by Lori Nelson

Local legend has it that the town’s name was changed from Rat Portage to Kenora because the Maple Leaf Milling Company was reluctant to establish a mill here if it meant having to put the word rat on their flour bags. Adding credence to the story is that when the milling company did build here in 1905, Rat Portage was no longer. The town’s new name was Kenora.

Read more...

 

The Struggle for Daylight Savings Time
Vol. 13 No. 2
by Lori Nelson

Some sprang forward and others flatly refused to budge on May 1st, 1914 in the Town of Kenora.

Read more...

 

Do Not Miss

RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP or BECOME A MEMBER ONLINE!
Online application ...

CEREMONY and FEAST
To Honour
The Sacred Jingle Dress
Nov 17 @ 5pm
Wauzhushk Onigum Roundhouse
Details ...

In Our Temporary Exhibit Gallery

We are all dressed up for Christmas!
November 16 - January 5

The Museum is OPEN for a
Special Christmas Visitor's Day
Saturday, December 29
10am - 5pm
Plan to enjoy the season at the Museum!

sidebar_didyouknow_title

The Museum's newsletter goes out four times a year, and is full of updates on upcoming exhibits and events, museum news, giftshop updates, membership and donor info, as well as a feature article on the history of the Lake of the Woods.