COLLECTIONS AND RESEARCH »

Stories

Lake of the Woods

Where is the Real Massacre Island?
Vol. 14 No. 3
by Lori Nelson

Lake Of The Woods – 1736

On an afternoon in early June, Jean Baptiste LaVerendrye, Father Aulneau, and 19 other man set off from Fort St. Charles in three large canoes. They were headed for Kaministikwia and then Michilimackinac, where they were to restock and bring back much-needed provisions. Their journey, however, ended only a day’s paddle away on an island named for the violent and bloody fate of the young voyageurs Ð Ile du Massacre.

Read more...

 

Waiting for Break-up on Lake of the Woods
Vol. 16 No. 3
by Peggy O'Flaherty

My parents moved to Kenora in 1948 when Dad bought the Bentz Brewery, renamed Lake of the Woods Brewing Company. When the brewery folded he opened Pat’s Stationary and Novelty Shop on Second Street. He could have moved to many cities as a brewmaster, but he felt he had found paradise and refused to leave. For a few years, he went out to Yellow Girl and stayed in an old camp on the Martin’s property. He loved the “Lake” and spend as much time as he could fishing and hunting. He bought a log cabin from the estate of an old German recluse called Klasu on Redcliff Bay. Both Mom and Dad enjoyed their time at Redcliff, but it was Dad’s Passion.

Read more...

 

Do Not Miss

RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP or BECOME A MEMBER ONLINE!
Online application ...

CEREMONY and FEAST
To Honour
The Sacred Jingle Dress
Nov 17 @ 5pm
Wauzhushk Onigum Roundhouse
Details ...

In Our Temporary Exhibit Gallery

We are all dressed up for Christmas!
November 16 - January 5

The Museum is OPEN for a
Special Christmas Visitor's Day
Saturday, December 29
10am - 5pm
Plan to enjoy the season at the Museum!

sidebar_didyouknow_title

The Museum's newsletter goes out four times a year, and is full of updates on upcoming exhibits and events, museum news, giftshop updates, membership and donor info, as well as a feature article on the history of the Lake of the Woods.